Academic Intervention

Students struggle academically for a variety of reasons, including health issues, a family emergency, an ongoing psychological issue, homesickness, or other problem. Our hope is that if a student is struggling — for whatever reason — it is brought to the attention of the dean’s office. If the dean’s office is made aware of a student concern related to academics, we take a “hands-on” approach to helping the student work through the difficulty.

The College deans works with a variety of offices, including the Academic Advising Resource Center, the Academic Skills Center, the Writing Center, Athletics, Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS), and the Student Health Center to provide assistance to students dealing with academic difficulties.

  • Progress reports

    One of the most frequent ways that the College deans becomes aware of a student with academic difficulties is the faculty progress reports. This form (accessible through the Banner system) provides an easy way for faculty to send a message to a student’s College dean, academic advisor, the Academic Advising Resource Center, and Athletics Department Academic Support staff (if applicable). A progress report can be sent at any time, but it is most helpful to send a note at the first sign of a problem.

    When the dean’s office receives a first progress report for a student during a semester, an email is sent to the student offering suggestions to improve academic performance. If the dean’s office receives a second report on the student (even if it is a first report in another class), the student will be required to meet with a member of the dean’s office staff to discuss whatever is going on that is contributing to the negative progress reports. If warranted, the dean may require follow-up visits.

    Although faculty are strongly encouraged to submit progress reports, they are not required to inform the dean’s office of a student’s academic progress.

  • Withdrawing from a course

    A student may change their registration (add/drop) generally during the first two weeks of each semester. After the end of the second week of classes, but before the end of the seventh week, a student may withdraw from a class with the permission of the instructor, the student’s advisor, and their College dean. The dean will not approve a course withdrawal after the seventh week of classes. (To review the complete policy, please see the “Change of Registration” section of the Undergraduate Catalog.)

  • Academic deficiency and frequent contacts

    Any student who is placed on academic warning or academic probation will be required to meet with a member of the dean’s office staff at the beginning of the subsequent semester. In addition, some students may be required to meet with a member of the dean’s office staff on a more “frequent” basis, typically once every two to three weeks, to ensure that they are following prescribed actions to improve academic performance. The dean’s staff use their discretion in assigning students to this program.

  • Family involvement

    Families are encouraged to contact the College dean’s office at any time if they have a concern about their student, whether it is regarding academic difficulties or for any other reason. The dean will discuss the concern with the family member, and work with them to develop a plan of action to help the student. Often, the dean will check with the student’s professors to get a better picture of what is happening in the classroom. If necessary, the dean will meet with the student to discuss concerns and make a plan of action to resolve the difficulty.

    It is important to remember that the dean’s office does not typically contact parents after receiving progress reports or feedback from faculty with concerns about a student’s academic performance.