Richmond Home

How to Seek Help Abroad

Survivors of sexual misconduct abroad can still access the support and resources they need. Here are several ways to ensure the recovery and support of survivors abroad.

Contact the University of Richmond

Contact the Office of International Education (OIE) at (804) 289-8836 or

If no one is available or if it after hours, call the University of Richmond Police Department (URPD) collect at (804) 289-8715.  They will take your name and phone number and call an OIE staff member. An OIE staff member will contact you to offer assistance.

As a Responsible Employee, the OIE staff member must notify the Title IX Coordinator who is available and trained to help you while abroad and upon return to campus.

The U.S. Consulate

Contact the U.S. consulate and ask to talk to the warden (or emergency officer) on call. They are available to help 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Department of State website explains how to get help. Your emergency card provided to you by the Office of International Education (semester abroad students only) has the telephone contact number of the nearest U.S. consulate.

When you call the consulate, they will ask your name and a number where you can be reached. The consulate officer on duty will return your call quickly. In addition, you may be contacted by the Regional Security Officer at the embassy as well as a representative of the American Citizen Services. They will help you with medical, legal and other advice. They will not require you to make a police report, but will help you do so if you wish to take legal action. You can ask someone from the consulate to accompany you to the medical exam and to help you make the police report.

If you want your parent or another family member to talk to the U.S. consulate to help you, then you will need to sign or give a verbal privacy waiver. They will only communicate with this individual about your situation.

ACE Travel Assistance (AXA)

ACE Travel Assistance (AXA) is the assistance company contracted by Richmond to cover UR study abroad participants. They will help you identify counseling and medical services where you are located. Students who are a survivor of rape or attempted rape may have a family member as defined by the policy fly to assist them through the Emergency Reunion Benefit. Covered expenses for this benefit include a round trip, economy class ticket, and other travel related expenses. The family member's travel must take place within 7 days of the occurrence of the assault. Note that there must be an official report filed. This can be a report filed with the local police authorities or with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

When you call, they will ask for your name, date of birth, policy number (on your card, GLM N1 1230 337). Identify yourself as a University of Richmond student. They will give you a case number and then ask for your phone number and email so they can forward you information and check on how you are doing.

Emergency Response Center, Assistance Services

Call collect 24 hours, 7 days per week. Direct line: 1-312-935-1755

Benefits for medical treatment due to the assault are covered at 100% up to the policy maximum of $500,000. See more details of coverage on the study abroad health insurance webpage.

Additional Resources for Help If Outside the U.S.

RAINN (Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network) –Toll-free 24/7 hotline for sexual assault counseling and referrals:1-800-656-HOPE,;

SASHAA (Sexual Assault Support and Help for Americans Abroad) - Free and confidential services for all genders and sexualities available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Support services include an international toll free hotline, 866-USWOMEN, a live chat feature, and a crisis email:  More information can be found at

U.S. Department of Justice Violence Against Women Office – Information about local sexual assault survivor assistance: